Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 18, 2011

Invisible (chapters 11-15)

Chapter 11

“I’ll tell you after you answer my questions, is that okay?” His smile felt like it started to burn me right threw me. I don’t know who this guy is, but I wanted him to leave.

“It depends on the Questions, but first answer my questions,” I stared at him.

“Go ahead.”

“How do you know my name?”

“That’s private information.”

“No it’s not! It’s my name, a strange guy is in my room and he knows my name, and I want to know how!” I was getting mad. I wanted to know everything about this guy.

“Well, next question.”

“You didn’t even answer my first one!”

“Yes, I did, I said that it is private information, now next question,” I did have more, but I knew he would just say ‘that’s private information.’ “No more? Okay, let’s get started. What happened when you met Andrew?”

“That’s private information,” If he wasn’t going to give me answers, then neither was I.

“Okay next one. What are your powers?”

“Powers? What?” I was confused, I don’t have powers. Nobody does, it’s impossible!

“Okay, were getting nowhere with this. I’ll talk to you some other time and I will get answers.” His face was a little bit red and his voice was low, that was kind-of scary. I guess he knew I wasn’t going to answer any of his questions, but I was impressed that he figured that out just after two question, that’s a record n my book.

“Only if I get my answers,” He was now smiling. He looked like a snake that was just about to bite you and kill you.

Chapter 12

Time slipped from me. It was 12:10, and they weren’t here yet. I was getting worried. I was pacing around my room, rubbing my hands together so hard, they started to turn red and started to burn, but I didn’t stop.

What if that man got them! Kidnapped them! I don’t know what I’d do. The clock was moving faster now, it said 12:20. I started to rub my hands harder. Even though I’ve only talked to them one or two times, it feels like my life will be a struggle without them.

I looked down at my red irritated hands, they were burning so bad, but the pain didn’t hurt as bad as the fear in my heart. My attention was taken away when I heard someone knock at my door. I cautiously walked over. I stood there with my hand on the knob. What if it was the man again, but this time he was here to take me. I slowly turned the knob and opened the door a crack.

“Ah, Mark? Can we come in? Sorry we’re late,” It was them. I opened the door all the way, and before I knew it, I was hugging drew, who just stood there in shock. “Mark? Are you okay?”

“I don’t know. I was so scared and…” Then I realized I was still hugging him, so I backed off. “Come in, I don’t want anyone to hear.” They walked in with a few Chinese food boxes and they put them on my miniature table.

When the one in the wheel chair rolled past me, I felt the waves and hear that noise again. I put my hand over my forehead, praying it wouldn’t get worse.

“Sorry we’re late, Marvin’s mom was being weird,” I went and sat down at my bed, still holding my head. “Speaking of Marvin, Here he is! Marvin, Margret love or Mark, and Mark, Marv.

“Hey!” He was in a wheel chair with Brandon behind him. He had a black splint on his knee. He had blond hair that was spiked the same way as Brandon. Then he leaned over and taped my forearm, I noticed the noise and the waves were gone.

“Hey,” I looked down at my red hands that were still burning, but now that the fear was gone, all my nerves focusing on the pain coming from my hands, it really hurt!

“Did we worry you?” Drew was also looking down at my hands. “Or are you scared about something?”

“Both,” I stood up and walked over to my sink and turned on the cold water. I put my hands under it and let it sooth the burning.

“Do you want to tell us?” Drew started to eat his Chinese food.

“Yeah it’s more like I have to tell you,” I dried off my hands and went and sat at my little wooden table.

“Here, we didn’t know what you liked so we just got you some chow-main,” Marvin wheeled over to me and handed me a box and a plastic fork. “Eat up!” He had a little tray connected to his wheel chair and was eating some rice.

“Thanks, I’ll have it later,” I slowly pushed it away from me. “I really have to tell you something.”

“Go for it!” Marvin was stuffing spoonfuls of rice in his mouth.

“A man came in my room today,” Drew stopped eating. “He said that you know who he was and he asked my questions, and he knew my name!” Drew was balling his hands in to fists. “He wouldn’t tell me how he knew my name so I didn’t answer his questions. And he wanted me to tell you that this was war and he was going to make all our lives miserable. That’s why I was worried about you guys. I thought he kidnapped you all. And I was scared to answer the door because I thought it was him.”

“He’s back,” Jay was leaning up against the wall. I didn’t even see him come in.

“Yeah, and he knows that we know,” Drew stood up and closed the blinds and curtains. “I know who he is and he is not a friend. He’s going to be to going after you so he can get wants.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Mark, you have powers. Physic powers.” He came and sat across from me.

“Physic powers? Please! Nobody does. Even if it was possible, why would I have it? I don’t have powers.”

“Yes you do, we all do. I know it’s hard to believe, but it’s true. Trust me on this.” He looked serious.

“Okay, I have powers, what are they?”

“Here,” he pulled out a pen and a piece of paper. “Solve it in your head.”

He slid it over to me. It was a math problem. It was Factoring. I started sorting the numbers in my head and lining them up. Then the watery-blue sphere was around the paper. I leaned back. I looked at Drew in panicked, I don’t know why I was scared of it, but I was. Probably, because it’s not normal.

“Where is it?”

I swallowed the lump in my throat and pointed at it, still concentrating. He reach over, his hand formed around it, but he couldn’t get his hand threw to touch the paper.

“No, no, no!” This was not happening! I was not making it. “This is impossible! I don’t have powers.”

“Yes you do, and there’s the proof. All the things that happened to you, it’s all proof.”

“You really think I have powers?”

“Yes, awesome ones! I wish I have your powers.” Brandon was licking his empty box.

I looked down at the ground, wondering if it was true. I pieced everything that has happened to me. From That day at school to this conversation, it was all true.

“I guess I do have powers,” It was hard to say those words, but I did. People always dreamed about having powers, but I didn’t want them. I want to be normal, and that is it.

“We all have powers too. For me, I can open, unlock, decode anything, and I can sense people with powers like you. Zack, can see the future, and read people’s minds and see what they see. Marvin, can move things with his mind. Brandon can walk through any solid objects. Jay can control people, make them do what he wants, and you, can turn invisible, make force fields and can sensing.”

When Drew stopped talking, I realized I was holding my breath the whole time, so I let it out with a big sigh. “So, me, I have powers.” I was still trying to take this all in. I swear this was all a dream and I will be waking up soon.

“Mark, this is not a dream, this is all real,” Zack was frowning, looking worried. I forgot he was the mind reader.

“So any ways,” Drew talking again. “That guy whole came in, his name is Kaden Frinn, and he wants you because your untrained, and he can train you to do whatever he wants you to do. Plus he knows that we know where the power orb is. So pretty much by getting you, he gets a two in one shot.”

“Power orb?” First we all have powers and now a power orb thing.

“Yeah, well it’s an orb that has all our powers in it. I never knew why we have it, but my grandfather said it was important, and if it gets in the wrong hands, then they will control us, and our lives will be over.” Drew said.

“Oh, and that Frinn wants it?”

“Yeah. Hey, when he came in did you sense anything?” Drew didn’t seem as serous.

“Sense?”

“The noise and waves”

‘Oh, no.”

“I knew it”

“Knew what?” I felt a bit weird with just Drew and I talking, and everyone else is not.

“Okay, my grandfather made this tool for me, for when I still couldn’t control my powers. Pretty much it was for school and when I was hanging out with friends. I would have it in my pocket; it was like a small metal box. It would block out the person’s powers. So he made so I could be a normal kid, but two months ago, Frinn broke into my grandfather’s house, and must have stolen it.”

“Does he have powers?” Either he was blocking me or himself with that tool.

“Yeah, super strength.” Marvin was doing wheelies on this wheel chair.

“So unless you want broken bones, tough training, then you have to stick with us, and that means we have to get you out of here before he comes back,” I forgot about Brandon, but him and Zack were doing thumb wars or something.

“But how? The hospital will only release me to my parents, speaking of which, are visiting me today. And if they do check me out, then they’ll just bring me back to Colorado.” Okay, why were they all smiling?

“What time?” Drew asked.

“The Nurse said four”

“Perfect! Okay Jay, you think you can handle this?” Now Drew was getting scary.

“Yep,” Jay went over to the closet and started to push things aside.

“Okay Mark, pack your bags, your coming with us so we can train and protect you.” Drew pushed my suitcase over to my feet.

“Okay what are you guys planning?” And I thought I was crazy.

“How do you feel about running away?” Zack was picking up the empty Chinese boxes and throwing them away.

“What?! Are you CRAZY?!”

“No,” That was creepy, they all, at the same time, turned to me and said no.

“Well, how do you all feel about it?” I asked.

“I think it sounds cool,” Now, with that sentence, I understood why Marvin had a busted knee and was in a wheel chair.

“Mark, you have to trust us, it’s for the best.” Drew had a look on his face, so innocent.

“Yes. I do trust you,” For some odd reason.

“Okay, good, so Jay is going to be in your closet, controlling your parents. We will leave, steal a car and drive out of stat.”

“Wow! Out of state! Steal a car! You guys are crazy!” I felt light headed. Boys, they’re crazy!

“If we don’t get out of state ASAP, then Frinn will find us.” Where the crap did Zack get those maps? I swear they were planning this all before they came.

“Okay, we’ll be back at three thirty or three forty-five. Make sure everything fits in this Backpack.” Drew found my backpack and tossed it on to my bed. I started to feel sick, but I had to leave. I needed them to train me, even if that means giving up my parents.

They started to leave, but I had one question left. “How long will this last?”

“At the max… Forever.” Drew said.

“FOREVER!!” I choked out.

“Yep, see ya!” Then with the click of the door, they were gone.

“Tell Andrew that this is war, and I will make his and all your friends lives miserable, and tell him I say hi too.” He started to chuckle and walk to the door.

“Who are you? I need you name.”

“Andrew will know,” then he was gone. I started to relax a bit more because he was gone, but why did he ask me about my powers? I have no powers. People only have powers in stories and fairy tales. I don’t know what he was talking about.

It was 10:35, so I had to wait a few hours until I can tell the guys. I didn’t trust this guy, so that means Drew shouldn’t trust him either.

Chapter 13

I started packing my things. Few pair of jeans, some shirts, and some other things you can’t live without, like a toothbrush, shampoo and conditioner, the little bottles. When I was done I laid down on my bed.

The blanket was so soft and clean. The smell of lavender was sweet and relaxing. Carla, if you haven’t noticed, cleaned the room, so she got me a nice clean blue blanket.

I guess I fell asleep, because I woke up to some on knocking on my door. I got up quickly and combed my hair with my fingers, and opened the door. Jay was standing there.

“Hey,” I guess it is almost four o’clock. “Come in,” I opened the door wider when he came in, then closed it behind him. “So is it time?” He stopped and turned around. I think he hear the crack in my voice, showing I was scared.

“Yeah,” His voice was soft and gentle. “Don’t worry, this isn’t the first time we’ve ran away.” I went and sat on my bed and he went and sat on the couch.

“Well, I don’t know why I am saying yes to go, I mean I just met you guys yesterday, but it feels like I’ve known Drew my whole life, and I know I can trust him, but I don’t want to leave my parents.” He looked up at me with a concerned face.

“I know. I understand why you don’t want to go, and you’ll see them again. But if Frinn gets you, then you will never see them again.”

“What about your parents?”

“Well, I used my mind control on them, and that’s what I’m going to be doing to your parents.”

“But we’re just fourteen!”

“Well Zack is thirteen, but it will be all right.”

“What are we going to do? How are we going to get food, find a place to stay and stay away from Frinn?” I started to rub my hands together again.

“Hey stop that,” Jay came and sat down by me and separated my hands. “We already have an injured person, we don’t need a stressed one. You have to calm down, stop stressing out, or else you’ll rub the skin right off your hands.”

“Okay,” I wanted to cry and scream. I had so much pressure building up inside of me. All this is happening to me so fast. I am still trying to absorb the fact that I have powers, and now I have to take in running away because a man is after me. I felt a tear escape from my eye. I wiped it off with my hand. I wasn’t going to cry. I have cried enough, and I’m sick of it. I am going to suck it up, and be strong.

“Don’t worry, we are all former cub scouts,” Jay tilted his head so it was in my view. He was smiling at me.

“That’s what I was afraid of,” Jay smiled even bigger then stood up.

“Okay, so here’s the plan. I’ll stand in your closet controlling your parents, it will be short and fast, because the sooner they leave, the soon we can. After they leave, we’ll sneak around back were the others are.” He slid my gray backpack under my bed.

“Okay, yeah that sounds good. By the way, where are the others?”

“They’re stealing the car right now. It’s hard to find one that can hold a wheel chair.”

“Oh. Hey, where are we going any ways?” Then there was a knock at the door.

“I’ll tell you later,” Jay whispered and then carefully climbed into the closet; just leaving it opened a crack.

“Come in,” The door clicked open and there they were. My father and mother. I stood up to give them both hugs.

“Oh, I missed you so much!” My mom was combing her hand threw my light brown hair.

“We have a wonderful surprise for you,” My dad hugged me next.

“Really? What is it?” I went back to sitting on my bed, and my mom was still holding me.

“We’re going to Hawaii!” My mom gently squeezed my shoulders. “Doesn’t that sound like fun?”

“Yeah that sounds great! When do we leave?” Maybe I could just go for this trip. Hopefully it is next summer or something, and then maybe I could go.

“Today, right now! If you’re up to it,” My mom sounded so exited, but I could come. I had to leave with Drew.

“Well, I don’t want to go,” I hurt to say this; I’ve always wanted to go to Hawaii.

“Okay that’s fine. Your dad and I will go,” My mom still sounded exited.

“Yeah, But I’m sure you don’t want to stay here,” My dad would never say that. Jay must be controlling them now. I hope he does make this go fast. The longer I’m with them, the more it will hurt to leave them.

“Yeah, can you just tell them to let me leave when ever, even if you’re not here to check me out?”

“Yep! We can do that, well we better go. Get well!” My mom gave me a hug, and then I stood up so I could give my dad one.

“Kay, Bye!” Then they left.

“Stay here,” Jay came out of the closet, and then left also. He was probably making sure they were gone. I was going to miss them.

I pulled my backpack out from under the bed, and shoved everything I couldn’t bring under. I went and sat on the window ceil. I leaned my head back against the window, and ran my fingers threw my bangs and breathed in deep. I wanted to cry so badly, but all I could do was let out a whimper. I breathed out, and then started to tie my shoes when Jay came in.

“Ready to go,” He picked up my backpack and walked over to the couch.

“Yeah, I’m ready. Hey, is that my dad’s wallet?” I stood up and walked over to Jay. He was holding up a brown leather wallet.

“Yeah, I made him leave it, is that okay?”

“Yeah, it’s fine. We need money,” He opened up the wallet and three-hundred dollars were there. He pulled it out and stuck it in the outer pocket of my bag, and then tossed the wallet back on the couch.

“Okay, Mary works down stairs, if she sees me, then this will not work. I will stay at the stairs, and then you leave and stay in the front until I get there. I’ll keep your bag.” Jay swung my bag onto his back.

“Okay, but what am I going to say?”

“Don’t worry, now let’s go, they’re waiting for us.”

Chapter 14

Jay walked down the stairs as quiet as a mouse. Towards the last ten or eight steps, he stopped. He leaned up against the railing, and smiled then tilted his head towards the end of the stairs. I sighed and started walking.

When I got to the end of the stairs, I felt my legs start to move by them selves, I figured Jay was doing that. So I let my legs take me to a Desk with a lady behind it.

“Can I help you?” She looked up at me from her paper work.

I stood there for a second or two, hoping Jay would help me, then I felt my lips move and words come out.

“Yes, please. I am checking out. My name is Margret Love, and my parents said I could check myself out. And I believe they talked to you.” Jay was pretty good, but she wasn’t buying it.

“I’m sorry, only your parents or gardens can check you out,” She started to go back to her paper work, and then started smiling. “You’re free to go, I talked to your parents, and they’re okay with it.”Jay was amazing.

“Thank you,” I started to walk out the glass doors in front. I looked back, and the lady looked confused, but went back to her work.

Outside was chilly. I tugged on the neck of my hoodie so the back of my neck would be warm. I put my hands in my pocket and stood there for a bit, and then headed over to a bench by a bike rack. I was amazed that even though it was bright and sunny out, it could still be very cold.

I breathed in the fresh, cold air. I closed my eyes and smelled the different cents in the air. I don’t know how long Jay would be, but that’s okay, it was nice to be out side of the hospital, into the fresh air. I was April in Michigan. Spring wasn’t close by, because winter didn’t want to leave.

“Mark!” I jumped at the sudden noise. It was Jay; he was running towards me with my backpack bouncing on his left shoulder. I stood up as he got closer. He was holding a piece of paper, and looked panicked. “We have to go now!” He was breathing hard and looked scared. He grabbed my wrist and started to run. I was hard to keep up with him, because I haven’t even really walked a lot. I felt my legs move faster, Jay was probably doing that.

We turned a corner into an ally like area. The hospital walls were painted grey. We turned another corner. There were a few dumpsters, and park cars. In the center of the gravel, was a brown mini van. I spotted Drew Waving his arms in the air. I felt Jay speed up, and once again, he was pulling me. His face looked more calmed down, but serious.

I saw Drew open up the trunk of the van, and walked to the front and climbed in. I heard the car’s engine turn on just as Jay and I arrived.

“Get in,” I did what Jay said and hoped into the back of the van. Jay climbed in next to me, and pulled the door down. As soon as it was closed, the car started to move. “Here,” Jay handed me my bag then looked out the back window. “Drew, drive fast.” I swayed a little as the car speeded up. I looked out the back window also, to see why we had to speed up. A man was standing there, Smiling, looking strait at us. It was Frinn.

When we were out of sight, we all sat there in silence. Drew was driving next to the sunset; Brandon was sitting in the passenger seat. Marvin was sitting in his wheel chair, which was strapped down with bungee cords to were the middle row of seats use to be. Zack was sleeping on the back row, and Jay and I were on the sides of the trunk, facing each other. Jay was reading that small piece of paper. Anger was set on his face.

“Jay?” He looked up, his facial expression changed back to his normal face.” What are you reading?”

“A note,” He paused and looked back down, and the anger came back to his face. “From Frinn.”

“Really?

“Yeah. When I went back upstairs to your room, I was about to climb out the window, when I saw this on the couch.” He handed me the piece of paper. I unfolded it and read.

You have what’s rightfully mine. I will get it, and with taking that, I’ll take something else for studies.

Keep an eye on the girl,

So you can see her get taken

I gasped. My heart rate was speeding up. Ten minutes ago, he could have gotten me, and I would be driving in the back of his trunk, heading towards a life filed with misery.

“That why I was running. As soon as I found the note, I panicked, because I thought he took you while you were waiting for me.”

“I didn’t even see him, until we were leaving.”

“Good,” He put his head in his hands. A guy I just met yesterday was worried about me. He was probably whiling to start a fight to protect me. Am I really that important to these guys?

“Hey, stop that. We already have an injured person; we don’t need a stressed one.” I had to say something to make him happy.

“Hey!” Marvin heard me.

“Don’t worry,” Jay raised his head and flashed a smile at me. “I won’t be stressed,” He folded the note up and stuck it in his pocket.

“So, you said you’d tell me where we were going later. So I guess now is the best time to tell me.”

“Indiana. We’ll spend the night there, but out over all destination is North Dakota. We have to pick something up from there.”

“Oh.”

“We have to pick up the power orb,” Jay chuckled a bit. There was a few quiet seconds. “I’m sorry it isn’t as good as Hawaii.”

“No, it’s fine. North Dakota sounds great!” Not really. I pulled my MP3 out of my back pack and started listening to it. I looked out the back window; all this land was new to me.

Indiana, Here I come!

Chapter 15

“Hey, are you awake?” I opened my eyes to face Zack. He was leaning over his seat. I looked around; it was dark outside of the car.

“Yeah, well, now I am,” Across from me, Jay was asleep. Zack reached down and started to shake him.

“Hey Jay, wake up!” Zack started to shake him more, and then Jay turned around, with his eyes still closed, and threw a punch right at Zack’s cheek, then returned to his original position.

“OW! JAY! FREAK!” Zack was rubbing his cheek.

“Hey! What’s going on back here?” Brandon’s face popped up by Zack’s, who was opening and closing his mouth, making sure nothing was badly injured. “If you’re trying to wake up Jay, then you’re doing it wrong. Trust me, I learned it the hard way too.” Brandon left Zack’s side and opened up the sliding door, and climbed out.

I sat up more so I wasn’t slouching, and stretched my arms out. My music was still playing, so I turned it off and stuck it back into my bag. Brandon slowly opened up the trunk door, then taped my shoulder then pointed out of the van. I carefully climbed out in to the cold, star lit sky. We were parked in a parking lot, which was empty.

Brandon had a water bottle in his hands, and was opening it. He was grinning in an almost evil way. He slowly and carefully started to tip the bottle towards Jay’s midnight black hair. After it dripped off on to the back of his neck, He jumped out of the car, shaking the water off him like a wet dog, then turn towards Brandon, who was laughing. Before I knew it, Jay was chasing Brandon into the dark, empty parking lot.

Zack and Drew got out of the car laughing also. I couldn’t help but to laugh along.

“Hey, a little help?” Marvin was still in the car.

“Hey, Margret? Can you help me with Marvin?” Drew was standing by the door still laughing at Brandon and Jay.

“Yeah,” I walked over and started unhooking budgie cords from Marvin’s wheel chair and the slots that did hold the middle row of seats. When Drew and I were done with that, we both pulled out a wood board that made a ramp for Marvin to get out with. As soon as he was out, he started rolling around the parking lot, taking in the night fresh air.

“So what time is it?” I asked.

“Three in the morning,” Drew responded.

Well that explains why it is dark and why I am so tired I could just pass out on the pavement.

“Three in the freakin’ morning!” I needed my sleep. “Does Jay know that?” Jay needs his sleep too.

“Maybe, but if he asks, I’ll risk my life by telling him.” He let out a little chuckle.

“Nice. So where are we?” I looked around at the empty parking lot. There was no building from what I could see. The only light sources were coming from the car and the lamp posts in the parking lot.

“Border line between Michigan and Indiana, but I’m not quite sure what city though,” Jay and Brandon returned to the group, playfully pushing each other. Both of them seemed to be even more wet.

“So training slash practice time is why we stopped right?” Zack squeezed between Jay and Brandon.

“Yep! Ready?” Drew grabbed a backpack out of the van and started walking into the parking lot.

“Now?” I stopped to yawn, “Why?”

“Well, there are no cameras and no one is awake to watch us,” Marvin said as he wheeled up to my side. “Don’t worry, it will be fun.”

“Who’s first?” Drew yelled out to us. He was standing under a spot of light looking towards us.

“I’ll go!” Brandon shoved pasted Jay and Zack and ran over to Drew.

“Come on, this is fun to watch,” Zack ran out towards Drew also while push Marvin in his wheelchair.

I looked over at Jay; he was leaning up against the car, looking out into the distance. He turned towards me, sensing that someone looking at him. He gave me a slight smile then started walking. I stood there for a minute, and then ran to catch up with him.

“So, how do you guys train?” I asked once I caught up with him.

“Well, pretty much we push out limits, and we practice it so we can get faster at it. We practice often just like an interment or a math problem or something else.”

When we met up with the rest of the group, Brandon was jogging in place, and Drew had a plastic container in his hands.

“Mark! Come sit by me!” Zack was waving at me. He was sitting on the gravel on the other side of Drew and Brandon, with Marvin on one of his sides. I walked over and sat on his other side. Jay went and cleaned up against the lamp post.

“Okay, I filled up these water balloons our last stop in the bathroom.” Drew opened the container. It had some water balloons inside; he reached in and pulled out a red one. “Ready?”

“Yep! Bring it on!” Brandon stopped running in place and faced Drew. They were about three yards away from each other.

Drew pulled his arm back and then threw the red water balloon at Brandon. I watched it literally go into Brandon, then come out of his back, and flew a foot or two more, then splashed on the ground.

“Yes! Can you throw three of them at once?”

“Sure, but that’s all I have left,” Drew answered

“Yeah, Just throw them, I can practice again tomorrow,” Brandon was popping his neck, then knuckles.

“Okay, Jay I need you to throw one,” Jay walked up to Drew and picked up a water balloon out of the box. Drew picked up two, and then tossed the box aside. “Now!”

Drew and Jay threw the three balloons at Brandon, and just like before, they went right threw him, but one snapped around his arm, and a burst of water hit the ground.

“Man, I was so close!” Brandon shook his arm to let the extra water shake off.

“Hey! Can I go now?” Zack stood up and walked over to Drew. “Please?”

“Yeah, sure, okay, go stand half way between me and the car,” Drew looked down at the plastic container. “We don’t need this anymore,” He picked it up, and chucked it across the parking lot. I heard it land in a thump that echoed in my ear.

“Would you like to go next?” Marvin was leaning down towards me.


“Ahh,” I paused for a moment, not quite sure if it was a good idea that I do. “Sure.”

“Okay,” He turned to face Drew. “Mark is going next!”

“Well that’s going to be fun to watch,” Brandon sat down by me were Zack was sitting before he left. “But until it’s your turn, we get to kick back and relax.” He lend back on the palms of his hands, and crossed his legs in front of him.

“Nice,” I copied him, and tilted my head sideways to smile at him. He returned it with an even bigger smile, that made it feel like the night went away and the sun come out.

“Awkward…” Marvin looked down at us with a look that a little kid would give to their parents when they were kissing, and with that fact, he turned around and started to make kissing noises.

“Seriously?” Brandon turned to face Marvin. I let out a little chuckle, then turned my attention to Zack and Drew.

I wasn’t quite sure what they were doing, but Zack had his eyes closed and was calling out numbers.

“So maybe after your done we can, get to know each other,” Brandon was pacing me again. His warm smile complemented his red cheeks.

“Ohhhh…” Marvin said tauntingly.

“Not that way you perv! I meant talk about our lives; she doesn’t even know our last names!”

I felt my cheeks burn. I have never been in a conversation like this before. In fact, I’ve never really been in a conversation before, never the less a boy.

“So, what would you like to know?” Brandon was still blushing a little.

“Well, I don’t know. How about your guys last names and maybe your guy’s family?” I probably should have asked a different set of questions, but I wasn’t thinking.

“I can handle that,” Marvin wheeled his chair over to the other side of me. “Okay, well my full name is Marvin Morge, and Zack’s is Hall and --”

“Okay! Wow, I thought I was going to tell her.” Brandon butted in.

“Okay, you can say the rest,” Marvin held his hands up to say back off, I’ll stop, but he didn’t seem to mind.

“Thank you. Okay Drew’s last name is Reaves and Jay’s and mine is Lee.” I could tell Brandon wanted another question.

“Mark! Are you ready?” Drew was calling out for me. It was my turn.

“Yeah!” I stood up and walked over to him. “What do I do?”

“Well, let’s start with you invisibility. Concentrate on your hand. Picture it in your head turning invisible.” Marvin stepped back.

I started to concentrate, but nothing was happening. I tried picturing it in my head, yet nothing was happening still. I tried harder and harder, but nothing.

“Good Job! You know, I just said your hand. Where are you?” Drew sounded excited.

It turned out I had my eyes closed the whole time. When I opened them, everything looked and felt normal. I brought my hands up to my face, but nothing was there, but I felt the cold air tingle my skin on my back of my hands. I have done it.

“Cool” I muttered, and then watched my hands turns slowly turn white then tan. I turned my whole body invisible!

“Well, I guess were done with that,” Drew held his fist out to me; I reached out and bumped it with my own.

“So, what do we do now?” That was fast and easy.

“Well, you can go sit down, I’ll have Marvin move some things and then we can go back to bed.” Drew bent over and started picking up little rocks.

“What about Jay and you?”

“Well, we already got out practice.” Drew stood up and started counting the stones in his hand

“When? Only Brandon, Zack and I went.”

“For Jay, controlling all our parents, and for me, the police lady that pulled us over while you were asleep,” He smiled at me, then went back to counting the stones, and then slid them inside his pocket.

“Wait, what? How did we get pulled over, and how did you get away?” I was confused how talking to a police man or lady was practice. I understand Jay’s case, but not Drew’s.

“She said I was speeding. But you know how I can unlock, decode or open anything?” He was smiling. He’s smile, it was so familiar, but from where?

“Yeah,” I know that, that’s one of his powers, but I wasn’t quite sure where he was pointing at.

“It includes people’s hearts and souls. I can find out what their weakness is, and what they want to be told. So pretty much I charmed her, and she let us be. No ticket or anything.” Well I didn’t see that coming. Wow, that’s pretty cool.

“Did you charm me on coming?” I narrowed my eyes at him.

“Don’t worry; I don’t think I charmed you on coming. Both me and Jay laid back; we didn’t want to force you to do something like this.”

“Good,”

“But I do know that you’re not good with conversations, you think your life is going too fast and is trying to run you over, you think Zack is immature, and you think I acted like an adult and show act like a teen some time. You think Brandon, Marvin and Jay are really cute, your weakness is school and sports, you’re the only child, and you have no friends, and you love people with a warm smile like Brandon.”

Speechless. He was right. All of it was right. I didn’t know if I should be man or shocked, so I’ll be both.

“What how did you? That was all information that should have stayed in my head and my head only!” Music to my ears.

“And you love the sound of your voice when you’re mad,”

I felt my mouth drop open, but then I quickly closed it. Grr… I’m going to have to find something to block that.

“You know, you look really funny when you’re mad,” He was laughing at me! I probably should be use to it, and I was, but this was different. He noticed I was mad so stopped.

“Listen, I’ll tell you that Jay, Brandon and Marvin all really like you.” I couldn’t help but blush a little.

“Promise you won’t tell anyone?” A promise is what seals the deal.

“I promise,” He smiled again then waved towards Marvin. “Sorry, it’s Marvin’s turn.”

“Thanks,” I turned and started walking over to where Brandon was sitting. When I was passing Marvin he called for me.

“So what were you guys talking about?” He gave me a side smile that said ‘tell me everything’.

“Nothing, just talking.” I started walking again.

“Or… you guys were flirting!” He called out. I turned to punch him but he already rolled away.

When I arrived with the others, Brandon jumped up to great me. “You were amazing!”

I looked down, trying not to blush. “Thanks, but yours was better because you have experience, and I don’t.”

He looked down also. “Let’s go for a little walk, I know you have more questions.” Brandon started walking away from the others with me by his side. We stopped at the edge of the gravel, where the weeds and grass met up with it.

I looked up at the raven black sky. It was cleat and breathtaking. The stars were like diamonds, waiting to be wished a pond. The full moon stood bright and mysterious with the jewel lit sky. I turn to Brandon, but he was hypnotized by the night sky also.

“So why are yours and Jay’s last names both Lee? Are you guy’s cousins?” I know we could stare at the beauty of the night forever, but I still had questions.

“No, we’re not cousins,” Brandon finally tore his eyes from the diamond spotted sky. “We’re both adopted, so that makes us brothers.”

“Really? Wow, seriously? You and Jay are brothers? And you’re both adopted? Wow!” These guys, they just love throwing surprises at me. I would have never guessed that.

“Yep, seriously.” He sat down on the ground, looking out into the darkness.

“Well, tell me your guy’s story,” I sat down next to him, eager to hear, But there was only silence.

“One day, my parents wanted to go buy some Christmas presents and after words go to a neighborhood dance. They left me with a baby sitter, because I was only three.” He stopped, fighting back the tears that were forming.

“They were driving on the high way, and then hit a sheet of black ice. The car swerved and crashed into several other cars. Then a semi truck hit the black ice, and flipped. The spilled oil caught on fire, and there was a giant explosion. Nobody survived, not even my parents.” He looked down. I saw some tears escape from his eyes.

“I’m so sorry. That’s terrible,” I reached over and gently rubbed his shoulder for a minute. My heart ached, and I knew his did too.

I scooted up closer to him and gave him a hug. At first he sat there, but then I felt him hug me back. He was in a lot of pain by looking back at that memory. I felt his hot tears drip off his face on to the shoulder part of my hoodie. I felt his arm loosen, so I pulled back.

His eyes were red, and his face was wet. I felt something roll down my cheek. I used my sleeve to wipe it off and it was a tear. I was crying also. But his tears left, and h cleared his throat to move on.

“Jay’s story, I know nothing about his past. All I know is that he got adopted when he was six, but when he turned seven, he didn’t want to do sports, and he had no friends at school, so they adopted me, hoping a brother would change that.”

I was right about Jay, he is a mysterious boy, and even his brother doesn’t know him that much.

“It didn’t work though,” He sighed. “Before I was a Lee, I was an Eastman. Brandon Eastman. I asked Jay what his old name was, but he wouldn’t ever tell me, and our adopted parents wouldn’t tell me either, because they respect his privacy.”

“Oh, so what about everyone else?”

“Um, well Zack has an older brother in collage, his name is Jeffery, and he has a little sister name Carline, but she’s like ten, so we all call her little C.”

“Cute name. Okay, so what about Marvin?”

“Aw, Mr. Love, well he just has an older sister named Marie, and she is sixteen. Both she and Marvin are very popular, and I call him Mr. Love because almost every girl likes him, and he talks to every girl he meets or thinks is cute.” At the end, he laugh.

“Nice, well I guess he is like that type from what I can see,” I laughed a little also.

“Yeah, and sometime I wonder if he purposely gets hurt just to get girls at his side. But any ways, Drew is the last one to talk about?”

“Yep, go ahead,” I stretched my legs out in front of me and let out a yawn.

“Drew’s story is, stressful and sad. He is supposed to be a twin, but his twin sister died at birth. They didn’t even get to name her. So he is the only child.” He stopped to let out a yawn.

“His mom died while giving birth, so he lived with his dad and his grandparents. One day, there was a fire; he and his grandfather were the only ones to make it out. They lived together and during that time was when Drew discovered his power. His grandfather did research, and made up training sessions, and even invented things for him, and then he met Frinn. Frinn helped train Drew, and taught him everything that his grandfather didn’t know. Me and Jay got to met them too after Drew discovered that we had powers also. But then Frinn went crazy, wanted to take the three of us to a lab, and pull us apart. Drew Grandfather took us and ran away. Then we returned, and everything went back to normal. But then Drew’s grandfather had a heart attack, so Drew moved into his Aunt’s and uncle’s house when he was eleven.”

“Wow, that’s a crazy life,” I don’t know how he could do it. I would never be able to go through all that loss.

Once again out eyes found the night sky. Nothing had changed; it looked just as magnificent as before. I put my hands in to my pocket. It was really cold, but it didn’t affect the beauty around us.

“We better head back now, we’re driving all day tomorrow, so we need out rest.” Brandon stood up then reached down to help me up.

“Okay,” We slowly walked back in silence. When we got back, rocks were flying everywhere in the air. I stopped and blinked a few times to make sure I wasn’t dreaming.

“Don’t worry, that’s how Marvin practices,” He gently patted my shoulder and let out a little chuckle.

“I knew that,” I started walking again.

“Sure you did,” He smiled back at me. Oh how I love that smile. It was like poetry but without words.

“Well, I know I want some sleep,” Drew walked over to meet us. “Mark, tomorrow jay is driving; can you sit in the front to keep him up?”

“Yeah, I can do that,” I looked down at my shoes. It was hard to look at him after hearing his story.

“Thanks,” He turned towards the others, “Yo! Let’s get some sleep!” The others stopped and walked over to the car. “Just sleep where you were sitting, and we’ll wake up around seven or eight.”

“Okay,” I climbed into the trunk on the side where my backpack was. I pulled my sleeves over my hands and brought my legs up to my body to form an upright ball.

“Somebody looks cold,” Jay said as he climbed in and closed the door.

“I’ll be fine,” I huddled myself up even closer.

“So did Brandon tell you, about us being brothers?” He put his hood up and leaned back against the inside of the car.

“Yeah, he told me everything, about everyone.” He responded with a nod.

I looked down, and then slid myself over to the slid more. I got my backpack and used it as a pillow. I turned on my side, still in a ball, and not completely lying down so I wouldn’t cross onto Jay’s side.

“Good night, Jay,” I whispered quietly so that only he could hear.

“Good night Mark, sleep well, I’ll see you in the morning,” I heard him whisper back in an almost loving voice.

The last thing I remember,

Was falling asleep, with a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment